Symbiota is currently expanding its field trialing and product development capabilities to support development and advancement of our product leads and to enable the development of data/knowledge assets that enable optimization of our efforts spanning discovery, development, commercialization and product use. The purpose of the Field Trialing Associate is to support and implement field trialing efforts and to enable accomplishment of associated goals for the precision, quality and efficiency of Symbiota field trialing efforts in support of agreed business needs and priorities.
Symbiota is pioneering microbial solutions for Agriculture. By unlocking the beneficial microbes that naturally live within healthy plants, Symbiota is developing breakthrough products that harmoniously work with plants to naturally promote crop health and performance. Symbiota has built the first platform for microbiome product discovery in globally important crops, including corn, soy, wheat, cotton, and vegetables. Product Development plays a cornerstone role in advancement of outcomes from our discovery program towards commercialization and enhancing our understanding of performance interactions and drivers.
Symbiota is currently expanding its field trialing and product development capabilities to support development and advancement of our product leads and to enable the development of data/knowledge assets that enable optimization of our efforts spanning discovery, development, commercialization and product use.
Role Purpose: The purpose of the Field Trialing Associate is to support and implement field trialing efforts and to enable accomplishment of associated goals for the precision, quality and efficiency of Symbiota field trialing efforts in support of agreed business needs and priorities.
- Timely/quality execution of field trialing programs and related data and/or sample collection.
- A motivated, capable and high quality contractor network capable of reliable delivery of field trial outcomes.
- Operation of an efficient and reliable trialing platform that meets our evolving field trial needs.
- A reliable and efficient field trial process that spans trial planning, trial implementation, data collection, data quality control and routine trial analysis.
- In depth observation, knowledge and characterization of trials that enables deep insight into trial quality, plant performance and the environmental context relating to the trial outcomes.
Responsibilities for the Field Trialing Associate
- Support implementation of the Symbiota field trialing efforts including trial planning, materials preparation, trial design, data input, note taking, data quality review and routine data analysis
- Serve as a resource and consultant for field trialing cooperators relative to their successful implementation of contracted field trial support
- Recruit, hire, train and manage 3-5 direct seasonal staff
- Support and/or lead field trial effort in plant sampling and other related tasks
- Monitor trials relative to environmental conditions, plot quality, developmental considerations and timely data collection and reporting
- Communicate trialing protocols and standards to Symbiota trialing cooperators and monitor compliance to those standards and protocols
- Support implementation of trial cooperator training and milestone tracking process
- Ensure timely data collection, data quality control/release and the routine analysis of trial
- Ability to work in a team environment and efficiently support planning, implementation and analysis of agricultural research field trials.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain strong internal and external collaborative relationships.
- Ability to use one or more field research trial planning, data management and analysis platform.
- A highly goal-focused and schedule-focused approach to work.
- Central objective of team success, shared goals, and bridge-building across departments, partner companies, and customers.
- Passion for working in an extremely dynamic, execution-focused, entrepreneurial, small company atmosphere.
Background, critical knowledge and job requirements
- A four-year degree (BA or BS) in agronomy, plant breeding or related area and 1-3 years of experience with field research programs
- Experience with the collection and analysis of field data
- Proven capability for collaboration in work or academic settings
- Strong commitment to ethical and legal compliance
- Ability to travel up to 35% of the time in support of field trialing activities, collaborator interactions and visit to corporate offices.
- Ability to use MS Office programs and/or other standardized computer tool platforms
- Ability to learn and use proprietary systems for data management, reporting and other job related functions
- Ability to work under typical field research conditions
- A valid driver’s license